Thursday, March 27, 2008

I've got this one.

This has been a crazy couple weeks.  I wish I had time to list all the stuff we've gotten to deal with as a family the last couple weeks but I don't think I have energy left in my fingers to type that much.  

I can sum it up by relating a quick story.  Two nights ago, my youngest daughter was sobbing her eyes out in my arms.  She'd been carrying a  load of worries and fears that are pretty staggering to an average 12 year old kid.  As I let her cry it out, I was reminded of something I heard Crawford Loritz say at a conference some years ago.  He was talking about the times when things are too big, too heavy, too overwhelming to bare.  You know the times--when you can't quite think beyond the moment you're in to even think of the moment coming next.

He talked about how when, at those times, if you listen closely, God is saying, "Move over.  I've got this one." 

Well, my daughter was struggling with things that are so far beyond her control, but being her mother's child, she was desperately trying to force them to be IN her control.  I got to spend a few minutes trying to explain to her what it meant to have a God with bigger, stronger shoulders than ours.  To a kid with a broken heart, it was probably too big of a lesson.  I still struggle with it at 43.  But finally, I just said to her, "Heather, it's ok.  I've got this one."  

I felt her whole body relax against me as she stopped crying.  In that quiet moment, my girl was able to let it go, and give it over.  Before the next moment came, when I knew I'd have to actually do something about it, I got to just 'be' in that perfect place where things were just as they should have been, where the tears stop and faith in something better surrounded us.

I wish I could practice my own lessons, but as they say, those who can, do, and those who can't consult.  Well, ok, maybe that's not exactly what they say.  But for a minute, I got to be a set of big shoulders to a girl who's heart was hurting.  Nope, I don't think I was playing God.  But it was a good place to be anyway, on this side for a change.

Blessings,
Megan

No comments: